So, I've been invited to a 50th birthday party where the theme is Funky and Fun. So I thought I'd try my hand at creating a funky skirt from an old pair of jeans and some material oddments.
I took inspiration from some of the items found here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShabyVintage
The end result looks like this:
So I started with an old pair of jeans. I cut the legs off....
Then removed the crotch and folded over the extra material.
And stitched it down with two lines of stitching.
Same at the front.
Inside view of the stitched over bits. Excess material cut away.
Next I ran a line of fancy stitching around the hemline. However I didn't hem it as I'm going to fray the fabric instead.
At this point I decided to do something with the pockets at the back and took one off... ummmm Old dead washed tissues! Nice!
I cut the extra fabric off the pocket.
And then went back to fraying the hemline, while debating what colour to use for the pocket.
I rubbed the cut ends together to start to produce a frayed effect. It's slow and fairly ineffective. Middle daughter tells me a couple of goes through the washing machine and tumble drier will do the trick.
Then I decided to rip off the other pocket. Thankfully this one was tissue free, but sadly I ripped the last bit... This requires some thought.
Perhaps I'll just make a bigger hole and fray the edges a bit. Make it look part of the design.....
I sewed another fabric in behind the hole... I think it qualifies as "funky". :)
And then I got carried away and made the hole much bigger, and frayed all the edges up. I'm quite pleased with this. Maybe one of my daughters might even call it "cool"?
So now the front looks bare, and that red/pink fabric is just crying out to be made into a heart.
I stitched it down with a zig-zag stitch. (First time I've done this.... and it's simpler than I thought.)
I rather like this.
My new-found confidence with fancy stitches, leads me to experimenting with the pocket and some pink thread...
At this point, it's time to take a break.... and put the skirt through the wash to see if that hemline will fray up a bit....... Later, I want to add a flounce of fabric to the bottom..... more to follow .....
Adding the flounce:
So I found an old silky scarf that I don't wear and chopped it in two length wise. Then I started pinning. I
started with the corner of the scarf above the hem line so it's not seen.
More pinning. Pins going vertically downwards so I can sew over them later.
First piece all on:
Starting with the second piece of scarf. Again the corner is lifted to above the hemline of the firs piece of the flounce. I used a second set of pins, and the chopping board helps keep the pins in the right place.
Okay - all attached.
And I'm not at all convinced by the asymmetric look. :-(
So - after the re-pinning:
I stitched from the top, and just ran over all the pins.
Then removed the pins and trimmed the excess material.
Gathered some of the trimmings into a funny rosette flowery thing.
And stitched it on too:
I'm quite pleased with the overall effect! It is a fancy dress party after all!
If you have used this photo sequence to create your own funky skirt, please consider making a donation to the Let's Do it for ME fund. Donate page here: Donate to Let's Do it for ME. This group are raising funds for biomedical research into ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis - also sometimes called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - although in reality it is much more complex than simple fatigue.)